Moncton Victorias Hockey Team Post Card Vintage Hockey Memorabilia
Vintage Hockey Memorabilia, Hockey Autographs, Hockey Team Photos, Game Used Hockey Memorabilia
Marshall Cup Hockey Trophy
Hockey Memorabilia
Buying Hockey Memorabilia
Game Used Hockey Memorabilia
George Hainsworth Tribute
Vintage Hockey Autographs
Vintage Hockey Photos
Vintage Hockey Postcards
Hockey Trophies
Murray Murdoch Rangers Legend
NHL Team Photos
Pacific Coast Hockey League Memorabilia
Portland Buckaroos (WHL) Team Photos
Wire Photos
Hockey Links
Site Map
Vintage Hockey Autographs, Autographed Memorabilia, Page 4
Bill Durnan, Montreal Canadiens (HOF) goalie autographed business card

bdurnan.jpg (26176 bytes)
durnanjr.jpg (49847 bytes)
Bill Durnan packed an entire career's worth of awards and recognition into his seven National Hockey League seasons with the Montreal Canadiens from 1943 until 1950. He won the Vezina Trophy as the league's top netminder an amazing six times, missing out on the award only once to Toronto's Turk Broda in 1948. He won the Vezina Trophy for his first four consecutive seasons and First All-Star Team honors. 1947-48 was the only time, he didn't lead the league in goals -against average and Montreal missed the playoffs. Broda, with the powerhouse Maple Leafs, took Durnan's spot on the First All-Star Team and had his name engraved on the Vezina Trophy as well as the Stanley Cup. Durnan returned to his winning ways in 1948-49, setting a modern league record with a shutout streak that lasted over 309 minutes and four games. In the next two seasons he was once again the best goalie in the league. However in 1950 Durnan's nerves were shot from all the physical and mental stress - from all the playing time - and he retired from the game at 35

His NHL career stats are as follows:
383 games played - 208 wins - 112 losses
2.36 goals against average - 34 shutouts
Won Vezina trophy - 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1949 and 1950
NHL All-Star -1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1949 and 1950
Ace Bailey, Maple Leafs Great, signed 4x6 sheet and hockey puck
bailey1.jpg (10575 bytes) acebaileypuck.jpg (56383 bytes)
Irvine "Ace" Bailey was one of the most popular Leafs players during his few years in the NHL, but he will forever be linked to one of the worst on-ice accidents in the history of the game. His career was tragically cut short on Dec. 12, 1933 when he was hit from behind by Eddie Shore of the Boston Bruins, suffering a fractured skull which ended his career as a player. Prior to the incident, Bailey was regarded as one of the great goal scorers of the game and a top defensive forward. Ace lead the NHL in goals and points in 1928-29.
The NHL's first All-Star game on Febuary 14, 1934 was played to benefit Bailey and his family.

His NHL career stats are as follows:
313 games played - 111 goals - 82 assists
NHL scoring leader 1929
Herb Gardiner, Montreal Canadiens (HOF) Great, autographed letter
hgardiner.jpg (56557 bytes)
The letter states the following: Dear Douglas, I am enclosing the autograph cards that you requested. However as to the rest of your request about old team mates, I am afraid that I have been away from the game so long, that they would be scattered all over the continent and I have not been in touch with them for years. I might suggest if you are desirious of getting the autographs of the old time players to write to the Hockey hall of Fame C.N.C. Toronto 2B Ontario, Canada, and they have a book showing all the players in the hall with pictures and there records. There present address is not given but you can write to the Hall and ask for the address of the players you pick out and they will gladly send them on to you. By the way the book is sold for $2.00.
Best luck to you in your autograph hunt.
Sincerely, Herb Gardiner

A stellar two-way defenseman, Herb Gardiner didn't make a name for himself until relatively late in his career. He was proficient at the amateur level in western Canada before traveling east to play in the NHL. Gardiner was a rock on the defense corps of every team he played on, and he was also respected for his consistent play through each season. During the late 1920s, he formed one of hockey's most successful defensive duos with Sylvio Mantha.
Gardiner turned professional in 1921-22 with the Calgary Tigers of the newly created Western Canada Hockey League, where he spent five long but rewarding seasons. He enjoyed his greatest success partnered with future NHLer and league president Red Dutton on defense. In 1924 Gardiner helped the Tigers gain the WCHL crown in a tough series versus Regina. He and Dutton provided stellar work in their own end against the likes of superstars George Hay, Dick Irvin and Barney Stanley. Gardiner scored a key goal in the first match at Regina, which ended in a 2-2 deadlock. The Tigers clinched the total-goals series with a 2-0 win on home ice.
Following this achievement, the Tigers ventured east with the Pacific Coast Hockey Association champion Vancouver Maroons to confront the Montreal Canadiens. Calgary and Montreal disposed of Vancouver, setting up a final in which the Canadiens proved to be too strong. Matched against the speed of Howie Morenz and Aurel Joliat, the Tigers lost 6-1. Despite the Tigers' setback, Gardiner made a strong impression on the Montreal management. The most notable feature of the contest from a Calgary perspective was that defensemen Dutton and Gardiner gave no ground to Sprague Cleghorn and Billy Coutu on the winning side.
The following year Calgary succumbed in the Western championships to the Victoria squad that went on to defeat the Canadiens and become the last non-NHL team to win the Stanley Cup. Gardiner was solid once again for the Tigers, but the Cougars were led by superb performances by Frank Frederickson, Jack Walker and netminder Harry Hap Holmes.
Recalling his excellent play two years earlier, the Canadiens invited Gardiner to training camp in 1926. The experienced defender represented a vital addition to the Montreal defensive brigade when he joined the team that year. His play was so impressive with the rebuilding Montreal franchise that he was awarded the Hart Trophy as league MVP - no small achievement, as he beat out New York Rangers superstar Bill Cook to cop the award. During this time, he formed one the NHL's most proficient duos on defense with Sylvio Mantha.
Gardiner was loaned to the Chicago Black Hawks in 1928-29 but was recalled by the Canadiens for the post-season. The following year he was sold to the Boston Bruins, who moved him to the Philadelphia Arrows of the Canadian-American Hockey League as playing coach.
Gardiner adapted well to the additional responsibilities coaching entailed. He remained with the Arrows until 1935-36 before joining Philadelphia's American Hockey League franchise, the Ramblers. Gardiner coached this team to the Calder Cup finals in 1937 and 1939. He concluded his coaching endeavors with the Philadelphia Falcons of the Eastern Hockey League from 1944 to 1946. In 1947 he was named general manager of the Philadelphia Maroons, a proposed NHL franchise that was never realized. As both a defenseman and coach, Gardiner always put his keen understanding of the game to excellent use. He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.
Cyclone Taylor, Hockey Legend, autographed hockey photo
cyclone1.jpg (16006 bytes) cyclone2.jpg (17655 bytes)
This matte photo has been signed on the rear by Cyclone Taylor along with the following notation:
April 21, 1975
Fred W (Cyclone) Taylor
Member of the Ottawa Silver Seven Hockey Club 1909-10 Stanley Cup Holders and Champions of the world of hockey

Frederick Wellington Taylor performed exceptionally well at several positions during his legendary career. His dynamic rushes and memorable scoring feats made him one of hockey's first superstars. He was one of the few players in the history of the game capable of skating backwards as fast as many could forwards.
Born in the village of Tara, Ontario, Taylor grew up in nearby Listowel, which is where he first took up hockey as well as lacrosse and soccer. Taylor exhibited promise for the first time as a member of the Listowel Mintos and Queen's Own before graduating to the city's top junior club in the OHA. He played with the Listowel juniors from 1903 to 1905 before leaving the province to broaden his horizons. Taylor jumped at the chance to play for the Portage La Prairie team of the Manitoba Senior Hockey League in 1905.
Before the end of the 1905-06 season, he was signed by the Houghton, Michigan, Portage Lakers franchise of the International Hockey League. Based in northern Michigan, this was the first professional circuit in North America. Taylor joined his new team in time for only the last six games of the season, but the "Listowel Wonder" wasted little time in making an impact. He took the league by storm, scoring 11 goals in the half-dozen matches and garnering a place on the IHL All-Star Team. The following year, Taylor was a major component of the Houghton club's league championship.
In 1907-08, Taylor joined the Ottawa Silver Seven of the Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey Association. It was here that he made a name for himself as an explosive rushing defenseman, scoring nine goals in 10 games. The nickname "Cyclone" was first accorded this exciting figure by local reporters after a cartoonist with the Ottawa Journal depicted one of his cyclonic rushes in vivid detail.
Taylor's excellent play helped Ottawa win the ECAHA championship in 1909 and the team became holders of the Stanley Cup. In a transaction that caused a stir across Canada, Taylor was signed in 1910 by the Renfrew Millionaires franchise, which was preparing to join the newly founded National Hockey Association in 1910. The salary paid to him was the highest ever for a Canadian athlete up to that time and remained so for many years. Taylor scored 22 goals in 28 games over the next two seasons before the team was disbanded.
When Taylor couldn't reach a satisfactory agreement to stay in the NHA, the Vancouver Millionaires of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association moved quickly to offer him a contract. Team manager Frank Patrick decided to switch Cyclone to the forward position, and there he thrived from 1913 to 1921.
While employed on the West Coast, Taylor averaged more than a goal per game in a formidable display of offensive prowess. His second Stanley Cup triumph came in 1915. He scored six goals in the Millionaires' three-game domination of Ottawa in the championship showdown. The sheer magnitude of Taylor's excellence in the series elevated him to the status of hero right across Canada.
Taylor led all PCHA goal scorers in 1918 and 1919 with 32 and 23 goals respectively. Even though the Toronto Arenas defeated Vancouver in the 1918 Stanley Cup championship, Taylor proved to be the most revered performer in the match-up. He finished ahead of all playoff scorers with nine goals in seven games.
Cyclone retired following the 1920-21 schedule but delighted the fans one more time by making a one-game cameo appearance for Vancouver two years later. He accumulated 194 goals in 186 regular-season games while carving out a reputation as one of hockey's surefire drawing cards. He earned the remarkable distinction of being named to the First All-Star Team everywhere he played from 1900 to 1918.
Taylor's sharp hockey mind led to his being named president of the Pacific Coast Hockey League in 1937. An active member of the Vancouver community, he helped form the British Columbia Hockey Benevolent Society, where he served as director from 1954 until his death in 1979.
Cyclone was voted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and the British Columbia Sports Hall of Fame. He was elected as a charter member of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1945, and he was also given the honour of turning the sod for the construction of the Hockey Hall of Fame building that opened in 1961.
1938 Montreal Canadiens vs Detroit Red Wings program autographed by Babe Siebert and others
siebert1.jpg (27838 bytes) siebert2.jpg (62715 bytes) siebert3.jpg (26026 bytes)
This program is for two games that were played April 8 & 9, 1938 at the Halifax Forum. Inside (see middle photo) it has been signed in pencil by Babe Siebert (upper left), Walter Buswell (lower left), Pit LePine and Normie Smith (upper right). The autograph that makes this so special is that it is signed by Babe Siebert who would tragically die in a drowning accident a littler over a year later (8/25/1939)

Babe Siebert entered the NHL with the Montreal Maroons in 1925-26 and almost immediately became part of the famous S Line that also featured Hooley Smith and Nels Stewart. In that first year the team finished second to Ottawa in the standings but beat the Senators in the playoffs and then finished off Victoria, the PCHL champs, to win the Stanley Cup. The S Line was the most feared line in hockey until 1932, when Siebert was traded to the Rangers. Although the line won no more Cup championships after that first year together, the three were consistently near the top of the league in scoring. Stewart was the natural scorer on the line, and Smith was the passer, but Siebert was equally well known for his rushing, his sheer physical strength and his relentless backchecking to get the team possession of the puck. In New York, Siebert won his second Stanley Cup in 1933 when the Blueshirts defeated Toronto three games to one in the best-of-five finals. He was traded to Boston midway through the following season, but in 1936 Cecil Hart became coach of the Canadiens and insisted the club reacquire Howie Morenz and pick up Siebert. And so, in the twilight of his career, Babe returned to Montreal. His speed was gone, so Hart wisely put him back on defense, where he was just as effective as ever. In his first year with the Canadiens, he won the Hart Trophy. After the 1938-39 season, he retired, and just a few weeks later he was named the new coach of the Canadiens. Tragedy struck, however, on August 25, 1939, when he drowned at the family resort. The hockey world was shocked by the loss of Siebert, and the NHL arranged a memorial game at the Forum, with the proceeds going to his wife. It was the third such game in league history - the first, in 1934, had been for Ace Bailey after his career was ended by an Eddie Shore hit; the second, for the family of Howie Morenz, was held in 1937 - and these were the forerunners to the All-Star Game which became an annual fixture starting in 1947. The Siebert game raised more than $15,000 for his family even though attendance was surprisingly weak at just 6,000. Siebert was posthumously inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1964.
Ching Johnson, New York Ranger Great, autographed index card
cjohnson.jpg (9376 bytes)
Defenseman Ivan (Ching) Johnson was the number one fan favorite of the Original Rangers. He played in the Rangers first game on November 16, 1926 (a 1-0 victory over the Montreal Maroons) and stayed with the club for 11 seasons. He ended his Blueshirt career on March 21, 1937 (a 3-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens).
During his years with the Rangers, Johnson built himself into a permanent New York City legend. His fearless style and straight-down-the-middle one man rushes on enemy goalies were something to behold. To be sure, teammates Bill Cook and Frank Boucher were better players, but Johnson was the unmistakable god of the galleries. He was also a member of the 1927-28 and 1932-33 Stanley Cup championship clubs.
Johnson was always a mischievous sort. One of his favorite tricks was to hide a puck in his gloves, hardly an easy task given the tight-fitting equipment of the day. Then, during a multi-player scrum along the boards, Ching would release the second puck, causing an immediate whistle and more than a little confusion, not to mention a breather for the wide-grinning defenseman. “I only did it four, maybe five times, but it was great fun,” Johnson said. “I even used to do it in practice, but that was tough because Lester (Patrick) used to count the pucks, no foolin.”
Johnson’s nickname – the fans would shout Ching, Ching Chinaman – had nothing to do with his ethnicicity (actually he was of Irish descent). It derived instead from summer camping trips Johnson and his pals would take along the Red River in Alberta. It was common practice on week-long excursions of this sort to hire a man, usually of Chinese descent, to serve as the group’s cook. Johnson would regularly volunteer for the duty, probably to save money, and the unseemly nickname was born.
Following his retirement from the Rangers, Johnson decided to play one more season with the rival New York Americans. The Rangers played the Americans six times that season, but injuries limited Johnson to just 31 games. He faced his old team in four of the six games, losing three and tying one. How popular was Ching Johnson? Prior to his first game with the Americans, the Rangers’ fans presented their newest rival with a gold watch at center ice of Madison Square Garden.
In 403 career games with the Rangers, Johnson tallied 38 goals and 48 assists for 86 points, along with 798 penalty minutes. He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.
Cecil "Ceece" Dillon autographed index card
cdillon.jpg (7023 bytes)
Cecil Dillon had an eleven-year NHL career spanning the years from 1931 to 1942. From 1928 to 1931, Dillon skated for the Springfield Indians of the CAHL. Midway through the 1930-31 season Dillon joined the New York Rangers for 25 games where he scored seven goals and three assists. á
In 1931-32 Dillon played a full 48-game season with the Rangers scoring 23 goals and 15 assists for 38 points. In fact, Dillon was a model of consistency, not missing a single game in eight years. In 1932-33 Dillon was a member of the Rangers team that won the Stanley Cup with Lester Patrick coaching.
Dillon scored at least 20 goals in five of his eleven NHL seasons. In 1939-40 he played his final NHL season as a member of the Detroit Red Wings, playing in 44 games, scoring seven goals and ten assists.
He played another two years of professional hockey before retiring. In 1940-41, he played 49 games with Indianapolis of the AHL and 51 games with the Pittsburgh Hornets of the AHL in 1941-42, collecting 13 goals and 23 assists.
Murray "Muzz" Patrick autographed index card
muzz1.jpg (58024 bytes)
In his youth, Muzz Patrick was one of Canada's most versatile athletes, excelling in track, basketball, football, cycling, boxing and hockey. In the ring, he was a Canadian amateur light heavyweight champion. But having Lester Patrick, the original coach and GM of the New York Rangers, for a father, lent a heavy bias towards pursuing hockey as a career.
Patrick turned pro with the New York Crescents in 1934 and then jumped to the Rovers the next year. There he played with future NHLers Alex Shibicky and the Colville brothers, Neil and Mac. After a two-year stint with the Philadelphia Ramblers of the AHL, Patrick finally settled in for full-time NHL action in 1938 with the Rangers. It was there that he used his large frame and boxing skills to keep opponents honest in the Rangers' zone. One night, Patrick's prowess came into full view when Hall of Famer Eddie Shore massaged the neck of the Rangers' Phil Watson while against the fence. Patrick intervened by dropping his gloves and, after a vigourous tilt, left Shore with a broken nose among other swollen souvenirs.
At the close of his second full season on Broadway in 1939-40, Patrick got his ultimate reward with a Stanley Cup victory?the last the Rangers would enjoy until 1994. With the outbreak of World War II, Patrick was one of the first NHLers to enlist in the U.S. Army just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
After the war, he returned to the Rangers for 24 games before heading to the minors where he ended his on-ice career with the Tacoma Rockets in 1949. Patrick then placed his full-time focus on coaching?a career he'd already started with Tacoma in 1947-48. After the Rockets disbanded, he moved over to the WHL's Seattle Bombers where served as the team's manager and coach.
In 1954, he made a return to New York where he coached the Rangers for a season before becoming the club's GM, a post he held until 1964.
Ebbie Goodfellow, Detroit Red Wings (HOF) player, autographed index card
Egoodfellow.jpg (25238 bytes)
Born in Ottawa, Ontario in 1907 Ebbie joined the Detroit Cougers (later renamed Falcons and finally Red Wings) in 1929 and stayed with Detroit for 15 seasons. Originally property of the New York Americans, Detroit traded Johnny Sheppard and $12,500 to get the high scoring 6'0" 175lb scoring machine. In an era before Gordie Howe, Goodfellow was considered to be Detroit's most illustrious hockey performer during the 1930s.
Originally a center, he became one of the league's top scorers. He scored a career high 25 goals and 48 points in 44 games in 1930-31. Although he was a high scoring forward, he was shifted to defense by coach Jack Adams after he began to lose a little speed. The gamble paid off for Adams as Goodfellow became one of the best defensemen in the league and remained a consistent scorer as well. He led the Wings to the Stanley Cup in 1936 and 1937, when he was named an all-star defenseman in 1937 and 1940. He also becam e the first Detroit player to win the Hart Trophy, as in 1940 he was honored as the league's most valuable player.
Playing hockey back then didn't make the players rich. Goodfellow kept his day job as a tool and die salesman and was a playing coach for the Wings in 1941 and '42.
He played a few games in 1943, ending his hockey career as a Wing. With 324 points in 556 regular games he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1963. He died in 1985 at age 78.
Joe Primeau, Maple Leafs Great, autographed index card
jprimeau.jpg (30851 bytes)
Primeau developed his hockey skills late in life when compared to his counterparts. It wasn't until the age of 12 that he began skating, but despite this, Joe's resolve to make the pro's helped him to develop his hockey skills quickly. In just 6 short years after donning his first pair of skates, Joe was playing for the Toronto St. Michael's Majors of the OHA. The St. Mike's as they were better known, contributed many players not only to the Toronto Maple Leafs, but to other NHL clubs as well.
His first season with the club, 1923-24 would be by the record books a slow season for Joe as he had 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games. He improved these numbers in his second season when he went to the Toronto St. Mary's, also in the OHA, and notched 7 goals and 3 assists in 8 games. In 1925-26 Joe started to find himself and led the OHA with 15 goals, added 2 assists, which gave him the lead in the league for most points with 17.
The Toronto Marlboros of the OHA Sr. loop was the next stop for Primeau in 1926-27 where he popped 11 goals and 3 assists for 14 points in 11 games. At the same time in New York, Conn Smythe was in the process of putting together the New York Rangers and he remembered Primeau, recommending that the Rangers sign him. The Ranger's organization was reluctant to sign a player of Primeau's size and passed on the recommendation.
Shortly thereafter, Smythe was relieved of his duties with the Rangers and promptly proceeded to Toronto and purchased the Toronto St. Patricks and renamed them the Toronto Maple Leafs. One of his first moves was to sign Joe Primeau and did so on July 17, 1928. Joe made a few brief appearances with the Leafs in 1927-28 and 1928-29 but in 8 games he managed only a single assist.
The 1929-30 season was Joe's first complete NHL season with the Leafs and it proved to be a good one, and it was the first season that Primeau's play making ability would shine through. Never again would his goal total exceed his assist total. Sometime in 1930, Smythe teamed up Primeau with Harvey "Busher" Jackson and Charlie "the Big Bomber" Conacher to form the "Kid Line." They got their name because all 3 were inexperienced youngsters, but despite their youth, they became the most famous Toronto line of all time.
Primeau led the league in assists in 1930-31 with 32, and later repeated the feat in 1931-32 and 1933-34 with 37 and 32 respectively. The pinnacle of Joe's career came in 1931-32 when he tallied 50 points on 13 goals and 37 assists, finishing a mere 3 points behind his team mate Jackson for the league scoring title. That same season, the Leafs took the Stanley Cup with Joe again leading the league in assists during the playoffs with 6 in 7 games. Joe again finished second in the scoring race in 1933-34 with 46 points, this time 6 points behind his other line mate, Charlie Conacher who finished the season with 52 points.
The following season Joe broke his thumb in a pre-season exhibition game, causing him to miss 11 games, and that spelled the end of the "Kid Line." Joe retired at the end of the next season to devote more time to his construction business, finishing up his career with 66 goals, 177 assists for 243 points in 310 regular season games.
By 1938-39 Joe was back in hockey as coach of the Toronto Marlboro's Senior team, and also coached the Toronto RCAF Hurricanes in 1942-43. Primeau returned to the St. Michael's organization and in 1944-45 and in 1945-46 he coached them to Memorial Cup victories. After joining the Marlie's Senior team, he guided them to the Allan Cup Championship in 1949-50. He was then hired by the Toronto Maple Leafs and took them to a Stanley Cup victory in 1950-51. This "Triple Crown" of the Memorial, Allan and Stanley Cup Championships made Joe the first and only coach in hockey history to accomplish such a feat.
In all, Joe Primeau won the Lady Byng Trophy in 1932, was named to the NHL Second All Star Team in 1934 and played in the NHL All Star Game in 1934. Joe was voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1963.
Home | Hockey Autographs - Page 5
All hockey memorabilia and their images are the exclusive property of the owner and may not be reprinted, copied or used without written permission from the owner. For licensing or other questions please contact

| Site Map | Email | About Us | Contact Us |
Top of Page